Saturday, October 18, 2008

Sustainable Resources

As I mentioned in my initial post on sustainability (10/14/08), this is a hot topic. There are lots of resources available. In fact, there is at least one whole publishing house (Chelsea Green), and possibly more, devoted to publishing books on sustainability. I will just mention a few resources here.

In my post on Appropriate Technology (8/19/08) I listed two books which I will list again: Nancy Jack Todd's A Safe and Sustainable World: The Promise of Ecological Design, and the Farallones Institute's classic, The Integral Urban House. Another useful book is the Toolbox for Sustainable City Living by Stacy Pettigrew and Scott Kellogg (co-founders of the Rhizome Collective in Austin, Texas)--this just published book looks like an updated version of the information from the previous two books with a Do-It-Yourself (or better yet, as they say as well as my dear friends Ellie and Jules say, Do-It-Ourselves) mentality. I'm reading it now and it's amazing.

A couple of websites with sustainable resources include the Sustainable Communities Network and Sustainable Sources . For those interested in designing sustainably, a site called Sustainable by Design offers shareware design tools.

Of course, the Transition Initiative (which I talked about in my last post) is a major resource for sustainability.


Next, the interconnections...


Quote of the day: "The future is literally in our hands to mold as we like. But we cannot wait until tomorrow. Tomorrow is now." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Word (or phrase) of the day: Open Space Technology
Hero(es) of the day: Ernst Bloch

No comments: