Friday, November 1, 2019

In and Out of the Dark

My life has become so strange. I can't believe that I was a New York City resident for four and a half years, and I can't believe that I now live on a little farm in the western foothills of the Catskills. Instead of looking at street corners and skyscrapers, the view around here is of trees and hillsides.

I was a bit scared when I was coming out here that I would feel really isolated, so far from public transportation and urban amenities. I am a city creature, having spent most of my adult life in Cambridge and Somerville (aka Camberville) and most recently Staten Island and Queens. I spent quite a bit of the bus ride out here looking at my fears and trying to face them.

But it has been great being here.  I love the folks that I am living with and they have been helpful in trying to think about how I can get around.

I am living here to continue to live in community.  The tiny urban commune that I had been living in for nearly two years is no more.  The three of us finally decided that it wasn't working for any of us and dissolved it.  Ironically, the commune that I am now in is an outgrowth of the work that I did with Sarah and Kevin five years ago,  and Sarah has been a major support for me here.

And, yes, I have all but abandoned this blog.  I am putting all my energies into the Commune Life blog.  I have several ideas for posts here, but I am not sure when I will have the time or energy to write them.  But, since I have been most faithful about writing at this time of the year, I decided to put a little extra time and energy into at least writing this post.

I hope that anyone who reads this reaps the gifts of the darkness. May you face your fears and grow from them.  Happy (belated) Halloween.  Happy Samhain. Welcome to the darker days.


No comments: