Friday, November 1, 2013

Through the Darkness Once More

I was going to write something else (and will soon) before I realized that it was nearly Samhain.  Turns out, with all the traveling I was doing last year, I didn't even write anything at the beginning of November--a time when I usually write something about the approaching seasonal darkness. (See Darkness, 11/1/08, Out of Darkness, 11/1/09, Death, Decay, Impermanence, 11/1/10, and Darkness and Despair, 11/1/11 for previous posts I've written on this subject.)

This is a time that's important to me as a way to acknowledge all the messy, unpleasant, and scary things in life that we'd otherwise try to avoid.

This year it's coming to terms with the fact that I have no control over life.  Life is going to happen as it does no matter what I do.  For those who may be wondering what I'm doing personally (beyond the occasional post on some subject or other), I'm waiting on a forming community that I'm very interested in.  However, the founders (who I've spent a bit of time with) are looking for a piece of land and I'm hanging out a couple of hundred miles away in the Boston area, looking for things to do until I actually have a real place to go to.  It's a bit frustrating.

But that's life exactly.  The darkness here is that we never know exactly what is going on--seeing the trajectory of our lives is never clear.  We guess and try things and move in directions that we think will take us where we're going, but we can't really see. 

The darkness of this time of the year speaks to me.  It says, wait with patience.  It says, you don't know.  It says, quiet, peace, wait.

Allow yourself the darkness in your life, and may it comfort you.


Quote of the Day: "Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence, and I learn, whatever state I may be in, therein to be content." -
Helen Keller

No comments: