Monday, February 25, 2013

On the Road Again

Once again I'm setting off. 

My first stop on this next voyage will be another three week visit to Twin Oaks.  I'm going back for three reasons: 1) I like it there and want to soak in a well functioning, ongoing community, 2) While I'm there, I'll get a chance to catch up with stuff in the nearby communities of Acorn and--more importantly--Living Energy Farm, as well as checking in with someone at Twin Oaks who is trying to set up yet another community in the area, and 3) The visitors group attracts people who are interested in community.  Reasons 2 & 3 touch on my current goal and the reason I'm journeying again: I want to be part of building new communities.  (Living Energy Farm is a new and struggling community.  And as I'm trying to find people to build community with, the visitors group in one way to meet folks interested in community.)

I'm currently at Twin Oaks and will be hanging around here (working my 42 hour a week quota) until March 15th.  From there I will be going to visit relatives for the weekend and then off to Pennsylvania where I will explore the likelihood of building community there with the two people I had visited with last November.

My time in Pennsylvania is basically an indefinite stay.  I don't want to commit to anything at this stage because it's unclear what's going to happen there.  All I can say beyond this, is that I have backup plans, and have been joking about having backup plans for my backup plans.  Among other things I've been thinking about are returning to the Virginia communities and visiting another hub of communities that has developed in Missouri.  I've also got the next Communities Conference (at the end of the summer) in the back of my mind, whether I stay in Pennsylvania (as a way to find people for what might be developing there) or not (in which case I'd go there to network again).  As you might remember, that's where my voyages started last fall.

So, I'm traveling once again.  I have one more book review that I wrote while I was in Boston that I will post soon, and I hope to keep posting in my 'Issues in Community' thread because I have a bunch more that I want to cover--and I may have yet more from what I learn in this round at Twin Oaks and with the struggling folks in Pennsylvania.  Community isn't easy, but it's definitely worthwhile.


Quote of the Day: "A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

No comments: