Monday, September 7, 2009

Challenges

We all need rest and relaxation, and sleep, and connections with nature, and spiritual connections, but we also need challenges--something to work toward or against, something to stretch ourselves with.

This is related to the concept of 'eustress', a stress that enhances our functioning.

As far as I am concerned, living simply and sustainably (not to mention equally and communally) are enough challenges for those of us trying to do it, that I don't think we need much more. But let's challenge ourselves to really do it.


Resources:
Crunchy Chicken--A very popular blog that always has challenges; currently she is promoting what she calls her 'Cloth Wipe Challenge', where she's challenging readers to use cloths instead of toilet paper...
No Impact Man--Writer Colin Beavan challenged himself and his family to live off-the-grid, eating locally, and producing no waste for a year (in the middle of NYC!), and they did; on his new website, The No Impact Project, Beavan challenges visitors to do it for a week
Riot 4 Austerity--I blogged about this on 9/28/08 (the post is called 'Riot!'); the 'riot' has been over for over a year but I think it was a great challenge; check out their FAQs for more info

Quote of the Day: "A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships." - Helen Keller

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that Helen Keller quote-- going to blog about her sometime, as the truly radical parts of her life have been erased in the modern retelling.

MoonRaven said...

Thanks, Michaelann. I hope you do write that post on the radical life of Helen Keller; I'd love to read it.

Jerry said...

I have to agree, I love that Helen Keller quote. What a soul.