Saturday, June 28, 2008

Looking for The Answer?

You won't find it here. I'm not offering The Solution.

I have no blueprint or step by step instructions. I'm not claiming that I know what to do. As it says on the sidebar, all I'm offering is 'some tools for creating a world that works for everyone'.

I'm extremely skeptical of people who claim they have 'The Answer', whether it's Jesus, Marx, or Chaos Theory--or even Anarcha-Feminist-Eco-Communitarianism. Unfortunately, many people do seem to think they have The Answer. This often leads to time-consuming arguments between True Believers about which Answer or Solution is correct.

As far as I'm concerned, looking for the one thing that will solve everything just adds to our problems. The mess that we're in is extremely complex, and the things we'll need to do to change it will be many and varied.

Therefore, my goal here is to offer lots of different things--various tools for change--with the hope that some of them will prove useful. If I seem to be enthused about something, that's fine, but it doesn't make it the one thing that's going to solve everything.

What follows from this is the more different kinds of tools that are available, the more likely that there will be several that will work on whatever needs changing next. So I'm gathering bunches of very different things here. Maybe only a few of them will be useful to you. Maybe something that isn't of any use to you, will be useful for someone else. Lots of us are going to have to work on changing things if anything is going to change.

I am also taking a systemic approach here. As far as I'm concerned, it's all connected and, in this society, many things reinforce each other. That's why it's so hard to change things. Therefore, whatever we build will also have to have this reinforcing, systemic redundancy if it's going to be sustainable. We are going to need to build lots of different pieces and then connect them. And then build redundant connections. As far as I'm concerned that's a big piece of the work. I'm just providing some tools for it.

No answers. No solutions. Just some tools.


Quote of the day: "...it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail." - Abraham Maslow
Word (or phrase) of the day: Anarcho-syndicalism
Hero(es) of the day: Arundhati Roy

No comments: